Sunday, August 14, 2011

Lasting Memories Ch. 51 "Try something New" and DT Call!!!!

Good morning Sunday to you!!  I feel like the days are just flying by.  I felt like it should have been about Tuesday yesterday.  I guess... we just need to make the most of it and it is what it is.  Summer is still here until that first alarm clock for school sounds!!  :-) (We still have about 3 weeks)
So... it is time for another layout challenge over at Lasting Memories Layout Challenges.  AND there is a DESIGN TEAM CALL!!
All of the details about the DT call are on the LM BLOG.  But to summarize... the DT call lasts the entire month of August... and you need to enter ALL challenges for the month.  This would be challenge number 2!!  Each weekly challenge remains open for you to link to until September 3rd!!  There will be/are 4 total.

Whether you are interested in the DT call or not... each weekly challenge is still happening... and we are looking for wonderful scrappers to award our fun badges to!!  So for this weeks challenge... the theme is to TRY SOMETHING NEW.  Meaning... try a new technique on your layout.  Link your layout by Saturday 8-20-11 6:00pm EST and tell us about what you thought of the new technique in your blogpost or in our comment section. We can all enjoy a mini tutorial.
Here is my layout that I created.

The new technique that I tried was STITCHING.  I know this is not new to most... but it is to ME!!  After I completed the stitched circles... I ended up loving the result.  I am not a seamstress.  And to just stitch a button on a shirt is a time consuming thing for me.  Sort of ironic... because my Mom did sew for us.  I even had a play sewing machine.  But I never mastered the art of making clothes.  So to summarize, I stitched 4 circles using a "Back Stitch" with red/white Baker's Twine. 
I simply just grabbed a mouse pad, needle, scotch tape, pencil and a few different sized circle shapes.
I traced my circles on the layout with a pencil.  Using a needle with the mouse pad behind the paper, I pierced holes evenly around.  I threaded my baker's twine through the first hole, starting up through the back of the paper so I could TAPE the end of the string to the back of the paper.  A knot would come through the hole too easily and provide more bulkiness.  I completed my "Back Stitch" all the way around... and VOILA.  4 fun stitched circles. 


One other QUICK technique that I did that I normally don't do... I cut out that Bon Jovi photo with the Title and all from a brown paper shopping bag that I actually purchased from the concert.  So... I RECYCLED an item smack dab in the middle of my layout.  Easy Peasy.

This is a layout of my Husband and I attending the BON JOVI concert last year.  He bought tickets for me for a Christmas present.  I really wasn't expecting it at all.  I had told him one day before hand that I would travel to New Jersey sometime in my lifetime to see them in person.  I was so HAPPY.  He even got tickets down on the floor row 12.  It was SPECTACULAR.  Mr. Jon Bon himself ages so well.  He is a sight for sore eyes!!  :-)  Left with a hoarse voice and ringing ears!! 

Thanks so much for visiting.  I hope you enjoyed my ramblings, tutorial and you will take a chance at the challenge.  Go check out what the other wonderful DT members created this week HERE.  Lots of good things to see!!

Have a great day!!

Supplies:  Mostly Stampin' Up.. unless otherwise noted.
Cardstock:  More Mustard, Ballet Blue, Riding Hood Red, Basic Black
Embellies: Red/White Baker's twine, recycled shopping bag front, Bling from EK Success, Random guitar stickers that I backed with cardstock.
Ink:  Basic Black Marker

10 comments:

Sue said...

You did awesome stitching your circles!!! Way to step out of your comfort zone. They look wonderful. Great job recycling the bag too. I bet the concert was amazing. The page is spectacular.

Unknown said...

Great job stitching. I still have to try this technique myself. I'm a bit intimidated with a sewing machine. LOL Yours turned out so great.
Hugs
Brenda
I would be honored if you came to see my blog here

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwww! This is AWESOME!! I loveeeeeeeeeee Bon Jovi and loveeeeeeeeeeee all that YUMMY stitching! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Brenda said...

I do not sew, so this is just incredible to me! Very fun layout, Michele!

Unknown said...

Great job! Your stitching is fabulous :) Honestly I think you could master just about any technique in your layouts. Your versatility is always inspiring to me.

tiffany said...

oh i love your stitched circles, not something I think to do very often, but it really adds a great dimension without a lot of bulk. such a fun LO!! =)Tiffany
Breakfast at Tiffany's

Lauren said...

Great job! I love the stitching! I have always been too intimidated to try it!

Denise Pustelniak said...

The LO really draws you in! All your stitching is great (I bet it was a good concert!)

Karen Wilson said...

Oh you LUCKY girl!!! Wow, what an awesome hubby to .. he sounds like he and mine would get along as that's something mine would do as well. He's always 'listening' to me and surprises me. These are amazing pics and I'm envious! LOL! Great LO and great stitching!!!!!!!!

Evanna said...

I LOVE the stitiching!! It looks so good. I really like the effect, but never do it...maybe I will challenge myself to do some stitiching now I have seen how FAB it looks!!